The Emdom Universal Rifle Magazine Pouch

Peer reviews of Airsoft guns and gear
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
hawk1911
NEST

The Emdom Universal Rifle Magazine Pouch

Post by hawk1911 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 23:03

Emdom Universal Rifle Magazine Pouch review
http://www.emdomusa.com/Emdom-Universal ... /eu189.htm

This so far is just an initial review of this pouch, as I have not been able to give it some in field testing, which will hopefully be added later once the season picks up again.
I’m a bit of a fan or rather I enjoy a few of EMDOM’s products, I have their Vehicle 2 liter bladder pouch, the stiff backed magazine dump pouch, and recently a thin low profile belt and now these magazine pouches. While they are not made in the US which may be a big thing from some players and users of tactical gear it is however they are designed in the US so there’s that I suppose. However my mantra has been if it works well, is a well thought out design and stands up to abuse then it’s good enough. Being a user of a few different AEG platforms I always have a hard time choosing whether I want to dedicate my rig every time that I need to use a particular AEG gun or to find pouches that can suite a variety of roles while not being too big and bloated. I’ve used a number of different magazine pouches designed for just that purpose, multirole usage, from M4-5.56 magazines to 7.62x51 NATO G3 magazines, some have been better then others. One day EMDOM posted on their Facebook page that they were releasing a new type of multicaliber magazine pouch, after looking into it I deiced that I would get 2 and see how they worked and if they could replace some of my current pouches. As you can see from the product web page there are a verity of color and camo options available to choose from, and even some custom made to order color options.

Construction wise they are well built as far as I can tell, again if my past experiences are to be any indication as to their reliability I feel that I can safely say that they will last. With the advent of the HSGI TACO pouch other companies have been attempting to get that same universal design for themselves and EMDOM is the latest to try their hand at it. If you follow this link it will show you what this entire pouch is made out of and how it is designed, I will not try to describe and copy paste from their website as that doesn’t seem too proper. I will point out some interesting build features of this pouch, like the use of Hypalon, a DuPont product that is wear resistant as well as rubbery and some what flexible. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypalon I have been seeing this material begun to start popping up in the tactical apparel market and I never quite understood what it was. When I first got the pouch I immediately tested the flexibility of the material and found it very fascinating, the friction that is exhibited by this lining within the pouch itself is rather strong and seems to prove more then enough to simply hold onto a magazine. The pouch connects to MOLLE via TT MALIC Clips, some may cringe at the idea, I know I do but unlike the TACO pouches EMDOM actually gave the end user enough space and slack in the Palls webbing in order to properly weave the clip through so that the pouch can be more stable on the carrier. Much like the TACO pouch the user can use shock cord to give themselves a bungee retention in case you feel that the friction is not strong enough for hard use.

The mechanics of how this pouch tries to do what the TACO pouch does but without so much use of shock cord is both novel but I am also uncertain of how well it will hold up or prove sufficient in putting more friction around the pouch in order to say that it is as good as the TACO’s design. As stated these are my initial impressions and observations while testing the magazine out and do not reflect any actual in field experience with this pouch. Despite this difference in design the basic retention itself out of the box so to speak without twisting the shockcord I feel is more then enough to hold most magazines after I gave each a magazine pouch facing down and shook them fairly severely. None of the magazines feel out and keep in mind that you as a player will unlikely find yourself upside down and being shaken to the degree that I shook these pouches.

On the subject of magazine retention and magazine insertion, while I have not put these pouches onto my rig the testing that I did gave me a pretty good idea as to what to expect from these pouches.

Inserting normal M4 STANAG shaped mags was simple enough and extraction had enough friction behind it where I felt that when loaded with 2 it would sufficiently hold the mag left in the pouch all it would need is a slight tap on the remaining mag to fully seat it. When I say this I mean the magazine would be pulled up by what would appear to be around a quarter of an inch or a few millimeters.

AKM magazines fit well and since there are a lot of sharp edges on AK mags in general that will add an increased amount of friction, this could be both good and bad but extraction and reinsertion was trouble free enough. AK mags as well as any magazine type that is larger then a M-4 type magazine will not double stack within this pouch, I tried.

AK-74 mags were slightly easier then the AKM type but that is to be expected, no issues with extraction or insertion. Like the AKM pattern Hicap before the front a back locking lugs tend to dig more into the Hypalon then the others however it was not substantial enough to stop me from inserting or extracting them in my opinion, but it is something to consider none the less.

My plastic King Arms G3 magazines fit fine, very snug and extraction was good as well as insertion. The benefit of these is that one they are very used, had them since 2007-08 and most of the edges were not molded into the magazine body which makes for a very smooth magazine, at least where the feed lips would normally be.

My CA metal G3 hicap magazines did give me slight trouble inserting them into the pouch, I found that the jagged edges of the fake feed lips tended to rub against the Hypalon but they did fit in just fine and just as snug as the plastic G3 magazines.

My 1 Metal King Arms G3 midcap gave me a fair amount of trouble, King Arms tried to recreated every stamping and jagged edge of the real G3 mag with this AEG reproduction. Either it was the feed lips or it was the tape that I had on the back of this particular magazine to help it feed reliably in my G3, this could be the case as the others fit in just fine just with more friction. I did however feel it was necessary to include my issue with this magazine none the less.

The K-MAG (I think, the KWA PMag copy) with a Magpul Ranger plate on the base plate fit well by itself and extraction was fine as to be expected of a slim magazine such as the AR-15 type. The problem started to arise when I attempted to stuff it into the pouch along with another STANAG magazine, either the other mag would get hung up on the KWA ledges that are molded into the front of the mag to catch the magazine well or those same ledges would grab onto the STANAG mag when extracting that magazine. I was able to finally find a balance and an order but it gave me a surprising amount of trouble, especially when you consider that the Universal mag pouch page shows 2 PMAGs in the pouch. It may just be the way KWA designed their ledges that is really causing these hang ups, I am unsure but it will be something that I will pay closer attention to once I put it on my rig and try it, then pay attention to it while I use it in the field.

While you could argue that as my “review” stands as it is now it is more of a preview then a review, well as stated once I put these on my rig I’ll have a better idea and I will amend my opinion and the review should things change or I find anything else that I feel needs to be posted on this review. As far as how I feel about how the mags may perform based on my initial observations they seem good enough, especially if you would rather have more options with a single magazine pouch rather then getting one designed for a specific caliber or a magazine that is built for 2 mags rather then just 1. As with any unknown purchase for gear we can only hope that the product can live up to the expectations that we placed on it so only time and usage will tell if this pouch is really up to task or if this idea is just another dead end. Is the design perfect? no, nothing is but they are trying something different, or rather they are trying their own spin on the universal mag pouch and if it works that's great.

Tatsu
Site Admin

Re: The Emdom Universal Rifle Magzine Pouch

Post by Tatsu » Thu Feb 19, 2015 01:16

Great "Preview"!

:37

hawk1911
NEST

Re: The Emdom Universal Rifle Magazine Pouch

Post by hawk1911 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 02:31

An update to this review/product review now that I've been able to use them for around a year or so. Simply put, they work with AR15/M4 mags and that's really it and even then since the pouch itself is quite tight and both the front lip and the back put pressure on the contents of the pouch it makes putting anything that's not a STANAG mag into the pouch troublesome. Upon extracting 1 of the 2 mags I found that 50-30% of the time that the second mag would also be pulled out either a little or a bit too much for comfort so I would have to take time to reseat the second magazine into the pouch so as not to risk it falling out if I needed to do any sort of movement. That was only if the 2 magazines were of STANAG mag type, anything with large ridges and grooves tended to snag or hit the magazine that I was extracting thus would catch on the baseplate say on a KMAG or PMAG with the wider base plate. If you had say a single AK mag or anything that you could only fit 1 mag inside of the pouch I would say you would be fine, the retention built into the pouch was too good at times so I would say you would not have to worry about loosing a pouch as there is almost no slick surfaces unlike say a TACO pouch.

The ability to further tighten the cords around the pouch is to be quite honest a wasted feature because there is already enough friction within the pouch to keep the objects inside of the pouch. Aside from that all of the additional friction causing items sewn into the pouch do not help with magazine extraction either, I regularly found myself having to wrench my back and arm just to pry a magazine out of the pouch when I was trying to reload and that problem was just with mostly STANAG model magazines, I have not been able to use any of my other larger AEGs as they are all "in the shop" so I can not imagine how much more difficult those would be.

Now that I've had a fair chance to use them I think I will say that they are not for me, I recently bought a single HSGI TACO double pouch to replace 1 of the 2 universal pouches that I had on my plate carrier. As much as I do not like the TACO pouch they are far better at what I need, being able to use different sized magazines in a single pouch, then the Emdom pouches, 1 major factor is that there is a plastic sheet that sits in between the two sides of the TACO which keeps the contents of the pouch from interacting with one another during extraction or reinsertion of a magazine. I still do not like the fact that I spent money on 2 pouches and to me I still feel like I didn't give them a fair run but honestly there is not much more that can be "tested" really, they didn't work out for me so I will replace the second pouch when I get the money. These pouches may be for you, they sure work at keeping the items in the pouch that's for sure but once you start trying to take one of the two magazines out that's when this pouch starts to fail, then again that COULD be solved by tightening the shock cord but I never really tried that simply because I felt that the pouch was already too tight or had too much friction. That is just my opinion really, if anyone else gets them they may have different findings/tastes then I do and you may end up finding a better use for them.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable