G-Code SOC holster w/leg panel

Peer reviews of Airsoft guns and gear
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
hawk1911
NEST

G-Code SOC holster w/leg panel

Post by hawk1911 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 18:23

I ordered this set up a few weeks ago and it finally came in the mail on the 7th, reason for the delay was as I recall they were out of I think the top part of the SOC holster, could be wrong but whatever. I ordered the RTI drop leg panel with the SOC RTI holster and a cowling for a TLR-1 Streamlight for my 1911. After I saw a few reviewers from different fields, airsoft, and real steel I decided to give them a look, made in America ect. and rather then order from ASGI or something I went to the manufacturer’s site or just their main site. They have a few different types of holsters to choose from, be it with a hood retention system which also has a level one retention or just a normal level one retention holster. Most of them are made of Kydex, the top part of the SOC is actually made out of injection molded plastic as I recall and only come in black, while the cowlings are made from Kydex that are in different colors. Rather surprised I forgot to add this, the SOC model is a modular version, the top and bottom as you can see from the pictures are separate, the lower cowling can be switched out for one made to fit around a light. They have about 6 or 8 light options but I’m sure if you ask they can fit it for something not listed.
(Separated into its major components)
(partially assembled, not screwed in)
The whole idea of the RTI wheel is that it gives the user the ability to change the position of his holster or in other cases their Kydex AR mag holders from one position to another with a few simple movements. Squeeze the two tabs sticking out of the one side of the mount which unlocks the system, and then pull up on the holster itself and out. To me it adds a little more distance between my leg and the holster and I’d like to have it closer to my body so there’s less sway but I haven’t used it yet so I’ll see how I like it. The RTI system, attached to the holster and the platform adds about a half to 3/4ths of an inch of space between the two pieces, so while it’s not much, and it may be good if you’ve got some gear of you, if you’re trying to keep your stuff sticking out a little as possible the RTI mount might not be for you.
(male/holster end of the RTI system)
(different view)
(to give you an idea of the distance between the two pieces with the RTI system)
The leg platform itself is rigid and has a single leg band made of thick elastic webbing with a rubberized texture on the inside of the band, makes adjusting it a lot easier. The vertical strap that connects to your belt is a softer or at least a more flexible band of webbing. Unlike the old Blackhawk holster I have which has a very rigid belt loop, the G-Code drop leg platform has a softer material which helps when you’re kneeling or just moving, the rigid webbing tends to bind and doesn’t move easily.
The RTI wheel on the drop-leg platform is actually riveted in, unlike some of the other adapters and platforms they sell, this was my mistake so this is a heads up, if you don’t want the RTI system on your drop-leg don’t get the RTI version thinking you can just unscrew it.

Like other retention holsters the cowling has a tension screw that allows the user to adjust how firm or loose the holster holds the pistol. This might be old news to some of you who have the higher up gear but to me this is pretty brand new even though I knew about it. Though I found that most airsoft pistols have a very thin finish so if you have your tension screw tight it will start to rub off the finish and then the paint, seems the holster isn’t kind of the finish overall for airsoft guns, might be different for real firearms. The hood system is resembles the Safariland holsters but slightly different, rather then the having the user move the hood as he goes to draw his pistol, the G-Code version is spring loaded and upon hitting the button the hood snaps up allowing you to draw your pistol. While a valid observation might be that having the hood spring loaded will invariably make noise and alert your target, I see no reason why you needed to be quite you could press the release but keep a hand on the hood rather then allowing it to slap up.
(assembled and mounted to the leg platform)
(underside)

G-Code is based out of North Carolina so ordering directly from them rather then Cali. or wherever seemed the obvious choice, not to mention I had a few questions which they guys there seemed more then happy to answer. Also shipping from N.C. to Jersey is a hell of a lot faster then Cali so speed was also a factor. The guys there are very open, they mentioned to me that if I needed a specific gun fitted that they didn’t have on hand the buyer could send their gun to G-Code and they would fit the holster to it. You can also ask them to modify the holster so a few specs, the normal SOC holster has a section of the holster protecting the barrel and it even has a removable plug that fits into the barrel in order to keep it steady and I’m guessing the added bonus is to keep debris out, after talking to a tech he said he would have the guys take it off, and it’s a very clean job.

They have cheaper holsters; the SOC is one of the more pricey models at $98.00, if you want to have a kydex holster with a hood, the XST, it’s $37.45, $48.98 w/ RTI, and if you want a regular kydex holster with just level one retention they have that as well, the OSH, which run the same price as the XST. They also carry a large variety of mounting options, belt loops that are standard length or low run around $10 then up to $30 or $40 when you add the RTI wheel, MOLLE mounts, Leg panels, magazine kydex holsters, a lot of options. They even sell RTI adapters for SERPA and Safariland 6004 leg platforms.
(holster with pistol inside)
Since I didn’t get it in time for Cookie’s Easter game I don’t have any on the field experience with it, however I will be using it during this Sunday’s game so I’ll edit this review and add that to it.

For now and for the price and the level of quality and service I got from this company and their product and for the price I’d say some of you might be happy with one of their products. Having a Safariland type holster without the $150+ price tag and not having to worry about what type, make and model and what rail you have is great. The hood work well, it’s not much of an extra motion to push the button down with your thumb as you draw, rather it actually kind of aids in the drawing of your sidearm as you can use your thumb as leverage. If you’re working with actual firearms the hood system might be safer then the SERPA since the release is not over the trigger, but that’s what I’ve observed I understand a fair amount of people use SERPAs. I’ll attach my short video showcasing the functions of the holster and the RTI system, poor lighting but I had just gotten home and gotten it when I made it so I may redo it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7Mxvj1R7fU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Forgot to add their website: http://www.tacticalholsters.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if you see me at the field this Sunday I'll have no trouble letting you try it out and talk to you about it so if you want to know more about it ask away and I'll answer as best as I can.

Cloudnine
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: G-Code SOC holster w/leg panel

Post by Cloudnine » Sun Jul 07, 2013 00:55

I have this same holster for the USP, and it is phenomenal. Very quick draw for close encounters, very secure (especially important concerning lost magazines), and quick to re-holster the gun. Wish I could find some G-code magazine holsters for the USP. Only problem is when you're on the ground rolling around or on your side, but leg holsters always result in some level of limited movement.

hawk1911
NEST

Re: G-Code SOC holster w/leg panel

Post by hawk1911 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 17:50

So after three years of use this holster is still going strong, I have used it in airsoft games and at one point a 3 gun match in PA and it has not failed me yet. I have changed out the rather large drop leg panel for a smaller one that recently came out called the MULE, which is essentially a partial drop leg platform, the deign still keeps your pistol out of the way of gear but without being able to go too far down on your leg. I’ve had the MULE since Christmas of last year but I was only now just able to start using it and it is indeed better, at least for me, I did have to change a few things on my Molle belt in order to accommodate for the pistol/holster being closer to my hip. http://www.tacticalholsters.com/product ... GCA77.html

Have I run into any problems with the entire set up no nothing that I would call a major design fault or malfunction of the product. The larger drop leg panel itself was a bit cumbersome at times and when I could crouch it did have a tendency to dig into my any area that it would hit and since the platform wasn’t exactly made of a malleable material it would not bend or give what so ever. My past comments about the distance from the drop leg panel itself to the hostler are still somewhat there, I do still like to have a holster that is as close to the body as possible in order to avoid snagging or more outward centrifugal force while running, flopping around and so on. At one game that I played I went around a teammates car upon respawning in order to load up my gas mags and decided poorly on which side to go around his car, well the particular GBB I was using had a rather aggressive grip texturing and that when combined with the holster being so far out I ended up scratching the finish. Now you can easily argue that it was more my fault and this is correct the point I made when I went over the scenario was that I was just unaware of how far out away from my leg the pistol was.

One thing that somewhat nags me to this day is that because MOST airsoft guns are out of spec of their real counter parts the holster tends to shave off the finish of my pistols, which is normal however most if not all GBB pistol tend to be painted rather then blued or a treatment to the metal itself rather then a coating.
Another problem arose after I changed the original large drop leg panel for the newer MULE setup I noticed that the RTI locking tabs had actually gotten fatigued and were not bending back into their straight and rigid state so there was not much keeping the locking system from holding the holster onto the RTI wheel, so that was a point of worry. I understand it is just plastic and give that I’ve had it for 3 years and used it it’s understandable but since it’s the very thing that keeps the RTI locked onto your holster it has me worried.

Other then that I have been very pleased with the holster and even gotten a few different types for some friends in PA for real steel firearms. The retention canopy (as G-Code calls it) still functions properly as the main line of retention, the screw that provides tension on the trigger guard for the second level of retention is still in the kydex and again still functions properly and the two 1911 style GBBs that I have still slide in and out of the holster properly. I am happy that G-Code is still keeping things updated which keep me checking their website for any new products that may interest me or further benefit me. Customer service from G-Code is still very good, in regards to ordering the items listed above I have never had an issue; only recently did I have a problem with G-Code getting some new Scorpion magazine carries back to me which took them a month BUT they fixed the issue and made everything right.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable